Minister for Department
Secretary to the Government
The Directorate of Information & Publicity, erstwhile known as the Directorate of Information Publicity and Tourism, was established in 1956. It was bifurcated in 1986, and the Directorate of Information and Publicity became a separate entity and has assumed significance over the years. The Director, Information and publicity is the Head of office and is assisted by four Assistant Directors in the head-quarters. The Directorate has a branch office at Karaikal, headed by an Assistant Director. He looks after the Public Relations aspects of the District Administration of Karaikal. The Directorate has also posted one Pubic Relations Assistant each at Yanam and Mahe as well, and they work under the respective Regional Administrators.
The objectives of the Directorate being multi-dimensional, the Directorate has different sections, namely, the Protocol Section, the Press Section, the Publicity Section and the Publication and Exhibition Section. Each section functions under an independent branch officer of the rank of Assistant Director.
Objectives of the Department
1. To effectively propagate the ideas, schemes, policies of the Government through the mass media
2. To create awareness among people, particularly among rural masses about the welfare measures undertaken by the Government through publicity, publication of periodicals, exhibitions, song and drama embodying folk traditions and multi media campaigns
3. To function as a nodal department for release of advertisements of various Government Departments, Undertakings, Corporations
4. Honouring renowned leaders by celebrating their birth, and observing their death, anniversaries
5. Erection of statues of leaders
6. Honouring freedom fighters on the occasion of national celebrations like the Independence and Republic Day
7. Conduct of film festivals-- Indian Panorama, French Film Festivals, Children's Film Festivals, etc.
8. To establish proper media relations to enable the Government to effectively implement its policies
9. To promote better understanding between the Government and the public
10. Welfare of media persons working in the Union Territory of Puducherry
11. Protocol functions like organizing reception, transport, accommodation, and hospitality for VIPs and State guests visiting the Union Territory
12. Organizing solemn occasions like the Independence day, Republic Day and Swearing in ceremonies