Animal Husbandry and Animal Welfare Department
Origin of the Department
In 1935, the French Administration created a cell in the Public Health Department for treatment of animals. An officer attended the Animal Health Services during outbreak of contagious diseases. To start with, it was manned by informers, male nurses and home, despaines of the medical department. A law was promulgated during 1937 under the authority of the Mayor of the Municipality to look after public health including cattle welfare, inspection of slaughter houses, market places etc.,. In order to carryout the function, officers were posted in all regions. These establishments were under the control of Senior Surgeon. During 1945, the Veterinary wing functioned in the premises of Government Pharmacy, later moved to the premises of Subbaraya Pillai Choultry in Orlayanpet. The officer in-charge of the wing was redesignated as Veterinary Surgeon. During 1948,another Veterinary Dispensary was opened in Karaikal to look after treatment of animals and slaughter houses and since then the services of Veterinary Doctors were obtained from neighbouring states..
Functions of the Department
The Main focus of the Department are to safeguard the health of domestic animals and to sustain and improve the productivity of farm animals. The efforts of the Department since its inception were therefore directed towards the development of necessary infrastructure throughout the Union Territory for extending Veterinary health coverage and breeding facilities. There is another aspect which is equally important is to make available the adequate quantity of animal protein for the growing population and to improve the income of the rural poor in non-plant production activities has been taken up on priority basis.